Frequently Asked Questions

Many of our most commonly asked questions

are addressed below. If you can’t find the answer you need, please refer to the contacts listed for more information in each area.
Men’s Recovery Program

How long is the program?
Clients work through at their own pace, but typically, the program takes 6 to 12 months to complete.
Can clients work while in the Recovery Program?
Clients aren’t allowed to work until they have completed Phase 1. In Phase 2 they begin to transition out and can work in or outside the facility. While in Phase 2 clients will be connected to resources in and around the community to help with housing, occupational skills, etc.
Where do Recovery clients sleep?
In many cases, clients begin the program sleeping at the Emergency Shelter. As soon as possible, they are moved to a bed at either the Don & Cathy Jacobs House or the George Privett Recovery Center.
When can clients receive visits?

During the first 15 days of a client’s stay, they are not allowed visits. After the first 15 days, visiting hours are Tuesday and Thursday from 6 to 9 pm, and Sunday from 1 to 4 pm.

What should clients bring with them?
It is best to only bring two to three changes of clothes, and shoes. Toiletries will be provided by our facility. No electronic devices are allowed (i.e., cell phones, iPods/MP3 players, game systems, tablets or laptops, etc.).
How do clients phone home?
There are pay phones at all three facilities including the Jacobs House, Privett Center and Emergency Shelter. If possible, clients should bring a pre-paid phone card, a much more economical option than long-distance collect calls. Clients are only permitted to use the phone during specific hours during the day.
How can clients be reached in an emergency?
If you have a family member who is a client of the Men’s Recovery Program, you can call (859) 225-4673. Please be aware that due to confidentiality requirements, we cannot confirm nor deny that a client is here. However, let staff know what the problem is and they will find the client if they’re here and have them call you back.

For intake into the Recovery Program call (859) 252-7881. Ask for the Intake Office.

Mental Health Program

How do I sign up for the MH/Dual Diagnosis Program?
To apply for the MH/Dual Diagnosis Program at the Hope Center, please call the Intake Office at the Emergency Shelter; to expedite that process arrive in person to fill out an intake form. After meeting with an intake professional, you may be referred to the Mental Health/Dual Diagnosis Program. Following that referral you will be given a Mental Health Assessment to determine if you are eligible for the program. If you are referred to the Men’s Recovery Program via the Department of Corrections, you are automatically ineligible for the MH/Dual Diagnosis program.
What are some of the services you provide to Mental Health clients?
Payee services, medication management, housing support, case management, group therapy, community referrals, 12-step meetings, appointments/treatment with psychiatrists and psychiatric nurses.
Can I get medications related to my mental illness?
Yes. Part of being in the Mental Health/Dual Diagnosis Program at the Hope Center involves clients keeping regularly-scheduled appointments with a psychiatrist. After you have met with the psychiatrist, he or she will prescribe what has been deemed appropriate, and we will make sure you receive your medications.
Are there private rooms available that I may rent?
Not immediately. However, after you have entered the Mental Health/Dual Diagnosis program and have been assessed, a private room may become an option, depending on availability.
How can I get a disability check based on my mental health issues?
Staff of the Mental Health/Dual Diagnosis program will help any qualifying client with the application process, which is the first step in receiving disability benefits.
What is the difference between SSI and SSDI?
SSI, or Supplemental Security Income, is a low-income program that assists individuals who are disabled and have not paid enough into Social Security to qualify for regular Social Security disability. In this program, your situation may be reviewed periodically to make sure you are still eligible. SSDI, or Social Security Disability Income, is for individuals who have paid enough to Social Security to qualify for regular disability. Some people receive a combination of both SSI and SSDI, and others receive only one or the other – the type of assistance you receive depends on how much you have worked.
Do you accept interns?
Yes. College and University student practicums are available to students interested in a career in Human Services, Social Work, Psychiatry or Psychology. Our facility provides supervision hours by a Social Worker or LPCC in either the Men or Women’s Recovery Program or the Mental Health/Dual Diagnosis Program. For more information feel free to contact Elyse Litton at (859) 225-4673 ext. 108 or Shawn Lutchfeld at (859) 543-2222 ext. 26. Typically practicum student positions are based on needs, experience and availability.
Women’s Recovery Program

How long is the Women’s program?
It generally takes women 6 to 12 months to complete our Women’s Recovery Program.
Is there a waiting list?
Yes, there is a waiting list for walk-in clients. Potential clients call and complete over-the-phone screening, and are then placed on the waiting list. To expedite the waiting list process, some clients can be suggested by a judge or court-ordered to complete the program.
Can I put my female relative (daughter, sister, wife, etc.) on the waiting list?
No. Someone from the Hope Center Recovery Program for Women will have to speak to the person seeking assistance and complete an over-the-phone screening.
Can my children come with me?
Unfortunately, no – we do not have accommodations for children at our facility. Furthermore, we do not accept women that are currently pregnant. We will offer resources and referrals to expectant mothers seeking treatment.
Do you have a place there that I can stay until a bed becomes available?
Unfortunately, no – we do not have an emergency shelter at the Women’s Center. The Salvation Army has emergency shelter for women and children. Other services available for women and children can be accessed by dialing 2-1-1, the United Way of the Bluegrass Helpline for resources and referrals.

For more information on the Hope Center Recovery Program for Women, call (859) 252-2002.

Get Help

Emergency Shelter

360 W. Loudon Ave. Lexington, Ky 40508: 859-252-7881

Hyde Hope Health Clinic: 859-225-5035

(For Recovery Program intake, call the Emergency Shelter and ask for Intake)

Reach Us

Men's Recovery Intake Number


Women's Recovery Intake Number


Donations & volunteers


The Hope Center is a 501c3 non-profit.
For all donations or volunteer assistance contact the Development Department at 859-721-0144.

For Men’s Emergency Shelter and Recovery Program questions and intake call 859-252-7881.
For Women’s Recovery Program intake call 859-252-2002.

Copyright © 2018 The Hope Center, Lexington, KY. All Rights Reserved. Site designed by Block & Gray

Last Updated: 1/4/2022